08 Aug 2008
OSD Methodology: 'Observe – Strategise – Do'
- Master both in-depth subject matter expertise and clear understanding of related factors within the big picture.
- Observe continuously with open mind.
- Consult others to eliminate blind spots.
- Learn from the past and identify potential trends before they become forces to reckon.
- Avoid being put in reactive mode; be proactive and “expect the unexpected.”
- Aim high and yet stay grounded.
- Be open and promote shared understanding.
- Prevent the strategy from collecting dust; keep observing that it stays relevant.
- Live the strategy; avoid empty words and lead by example.
- Delegate and empower, but do not loose touch.
- Balance asking for result with giving resources to produce the result.
- Strive for excellence and, at the same time, be patient.
- And while doing, be observant.
Note: “Expect the unexpected” is a quote from Captain Jean-Luc Picard in Star Trek: The Next Generation